Legislative Changes

Legislative Changes

Changes to Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) training and licences

On 22nd August 2011 the NSW Government Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing changed the regulations for the issue of licences to people who complete RSA and RCG training.

These changes have resulted in a substantial increase in the cost of the licence issued by the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) and the need for a NSW Photo ID Competency Card.

Course costs

Course Fee
Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) $225 inclusive of $85 NSW State Government licence fee
Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) $155 inclusive of $40 NSW State Government licence fee

Competency cards

To work in certain roles in the liquor and gaming industries in NSW, you need an RSA/RCG competency card.

A competency card is required if you:

  • sell, serve or supply alcohol are licensee of a business;
  • are Secretary of a registered club;
  • work as a crowd controller, bouncer or RSA marshal;
  • work with gaming machines;
  • operate an ID scanner.

The photo competency card is a plastic card, similar to a driver licence and is valid for five years. It is also available in a digital version that you can download on your smartphone or tablet.

The card is proof that you’ve successfully completed training in one or both of these courses:

  • Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA)
  • Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG)

When you complete and pass the course, you’ll be issued with an interim certificate that allows you to work for the first 90 days while you order and receive your photo competency card.

Take your interim certificate with you to a Service NSW Service Centre, as well as 100 points of ID that are all originals. Note that your personal details on your interim certificate must match your ID – any discrepancies can be fixed at Service NSW. Your photo will be taken and you should receive your NSW photo competency card in four weeks.

Apply for a card as soon as possible to ensure your interim certificate doesn’t expire before receiving your competency card in the post.

Download your digital card today

The digital competency card is also available as soon as you order your photo card at Service NSW – it’s free, quick to download and legally valid. Download it to your smartphone via the Service NSW app available on iTunes® or at the Google Play™ store.

Visit the Service NSW website and search ‘Get started with digital licences’ to learn more about the digital NSW competency card.

Manage your competency card online

You can manage your competency card online:

  • update your contact details
  • update your name for changes in marital status or legal name
  • renew your competency card – you need to know your renewal number to access the competency card renewal portal. It is supplied with your competency card renewal email and SMS notifications.
  • order a replacement for lost and stolen cards
  • add a privacy endorsement.

Visit the Competency Card Self Service Portal

  • The College bears no responsibility for any student obtaining the Photo ID. Each student is responsible for their own competency card and will need to take the interim certificate and their 100 points of identity to a Service NSW Service Centre after receiving their interim certificate following the training course.
  • Pay when you enrol. Interim certificates will not be issued until the course fee/s have been paid in full.
  • There may be a delay of several weeks following your participation in the training before your interim certificate arrives in the mail. You have 90 days from the date of training to apply for your competency card.
  • If your interim certificate expires and you have not applied for the Photo ID Licence you will not be able to work in licensed premises.
  • Your Photo ID Licence will need to be renewed every five (5) years if you wish to remain working in the liquor/gaming industry.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the OLGR website.